Here's another one of Debs Road Tested Recipes. This mac and cheese takes a little time to prepare, but is worth it. It can be made with just an electric burner and counter-top oven (once again saving us additional LP expense). The best part is that it refrigerates and reheats well without drying out.
DEBS CREAMY MAC & CHEESE
- 1 8oz package elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp powdered mustard
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Sargentos recommended)
- 1/2 cup shredded 6 cheese Italian blend (Sargentos recommended)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, drained and crumbled
- 1/4 cup each of additional sharp cheddar & Italian blend cheeses (combined for topping)
- 1/4 cup cheese flavored snack crackers (i.e. Cheez Its) crushed
- Boil elbow macaroni in salt water using a sauce pan for 6-7 minutes until almost cooked (al dente). Drain, rinse well with cold water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter on medium-low, then add flour while stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth and has cooked for about two minutes.
- Add half-and-half slowly while stirring constantly for 10 minutes. (Do not skip the constant stirring, it is essential for a creamy sauce.) Add salt, pepper, powdered mustard and nutmeg.
- Remove pan from heat and add cheeses, stirring until smooth.
- Combine cooled macaroni with sauce and pour into a buttered 8 inch, square baking pan.
- Sprinkle top first with additional cheeses, then crushed crackers.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until top is browned and bubbling.
- Add crumbled bacon to topping and serve.
copyright 2009 Lane A Geyer